Building Off of the Award-Winning Basecamp 16, the Basecamp 20 Travel Trailer Introduces More Ways to Explore with a Larger Floor Plan, New Features, and Continued Ease of Towing
JACKSON CENTER, OH (July 14, 2020) – Airstream, Inc., maker of the iconic “silver bullet” fleet of Airstream® travel trailers and best-in-class touring coaches, today announced the launch of its newest addition to the brand’s travel trailer lineup, the 2021 Basecamp 20, and the 20X package, which offers off-road features. Hand-crafted in Ohio, these new Basecamp models expand upon the top-selling Basecamp 16, and were designed to provide all the unique benefits of the original, including ease of towing and craftsmanship, now on a larger adventure-ready platform.
This new product offering comes at a time when many weary travelers are avoiding crowded airports and train stations, and are instead choosing RVs to explore the country in a safe, convenient way. The Basecamp 20 and 20X are perfectly suited for both the novice and experienced Airstreamer due to its functional design and features, and is built especially for adventurers who are seeking a larger, more rugged travel trailer to traverse new terrains further off the beaten path.
“Basecamp originally launched in 2007 and its redesign in 2016 became one of the most celebrated travel trailers in our towable lineup,” said Bob Wheeler CEO and President of Airstream. “We created it for those who want to get out and explore nature in an easy-to-use, durable, and efficient vehicle,” said Wheeler. “This new, larger Basecamp 20 was born out of feedback that owners wanted more space, more flexibility, and the option to have separate spaces for eating and sleeping. We are proud of this latest add to our product offering that continues in the tradition of innovation that supports adventures.”
Airstream’s attention to detail, expert use of space, and understanding of the adventure-minded customer’s requirement for comfort and functionality had led to a larger Basecamp full of thoughtful design features. Basecamp owners can now leave the rear bed set up during the day and still have space to eat at the newly designed front dinette, or convert the dinette into extra sleeping space for children or guests. The larger size and lightweight design opens up new possibilities as this model is easily towable, features larger wheels and a larger departure angle for tackling off-road terrain with confidence.
In addition to the standard Basecamp 16, the Basecamp 20 includes:
- Increased length, width, and height, with the ability to be towed by a midsize SUV or small truck
- A larger convertible rear bed with flexible living, sleeping, and eating positions
- More storage locations throughout the interior for gear
- A convertible front dinette that comfortably seats up to four adults and sleeps two children or one adult
- Three signature décors: Glacier Lake, Red Rock, and Forest Ridge
- Optional features include solar panels and controller, a microwave, and an air conditioner
- Dedicated furnace and efficient tankless water heater
- Fresh water, gray water, and black water tanks
- Four heavy-duty stabilizer jacks
The more rugged, trail-friendly Basecamp 20X includes:
- Larger Goodyear Off-Road DuraTrac Tires
- Off-road ready, with 12 inches of ground clearance from the bottom of the axle under full load capacity
- Larger stylized aluminum wheels
- Stainless steel front stone guard protection
- Tinted window guards
- Steel double step
“We designed the Basecamp 20 and 20X to spark increased interest and access to exploring the outdoors,” said Justin Humphreys, VP of Sales at Airstream. “Its larger size will appeal to adventurous families who want all the comforts of home in a rugged and capable travel trailer.”
With a base weight of 3,400 pounds and maximum trailer capacity (GVWR) of 4,300 pounds, the Basecamp 20 is compatible with a variety of small and mid-sized SUVs and trucks. The Basecamp 20X has a base weight of 3,500 pounds and a GVWR of 4,300 pounds. Basecamp 20 has an MSRP of $45,900 and the Basecamp 20X has an MSRP of $48,900. Airstream dealers are taking orders now and will begin receiving inventory in the coming weeks.
For more information about the Basecamp 20 and 20X, or Airstream and its full product lineup, please visit www.airstream.com.